Saturday, February 1, 2014

Super Bowl Sunday: Big Doings At Casa De Curmudgeon

The Big Bash for the playoff game between the Carolina Panthers and the San Francisco 49ers was a big hit with my neighbors a couple of weeks ago.  It was such a smash in fact that they demanded we do it again for Super Bowl Sunday.

The pressure has been mounting since I agreed to do it.  How do I top my last get together?  So I thunk and I thunk and I thunk.

I decided to go with one of my all-time faves—Frogmore Stew.  The Frogmore is very much like a Low Country Boil.  The big difference is crab legs are added to the boil.

Now, I know what you’re thinking.  Isn’t Seattle known for its Pike Place Market, the world famous fish market?  True enough.  Let me remind you that Peyton Manning was born in Nawlins.  For the uninitiated, that’s Cajun for New Orleans.  The Frogmore seemed like the perfect tribute to Peyton since it is closely associated with southern Louisiana and the Gulf south.  You see the connection now don’t you?

Frogmore Stew has as its ingredients Kielbasa Sausage, corn on the cob, new red potatoes, shrimp and Alaskan King Crab Legs.  You throw the potatoes in a 65-quart stock pot and let them boil in water to which some Zatarain’s Extra Spicy Crab Boil is added.  You add a couple of tablespoons of concentrated shrimp and crab boil and let the spuds boil for about 15 minutes.

Next you add the corn cobs which are broken in half.  Let those cook for another 15 minutes.  Then you add the Kielbasa sausage.  After about 10 minutes you add the crab legs and shrimp.  After the seafood has boiled for about 5 or so minutes you’re ready to drain off the water and dump everything onto a table that is covered with newspaper.

Place a bunch of ramekins on the table filled with drawn butter and shrimp cocktail sauce for dippin’.  Cut up some lemon wedges and you’ve got one helluva feast.

Clean up is easy.  You just roll everything up in the newspaper and toss it in the trash.

I’m going to stop by the party rental store on Saturday before I head off to work and pick up the three 6-foot banquet folding tables I reserved.  Sunday morning I’ll go the grocery store to pick up the 20 lbs of crab legs and 20 lbs of 10-15 count Gulf shrimp I ordered in advance.

I’ve already made some orange and berry blue Jell-O shooters and the Party Planning Committee is in charge of everything else.  I can’t do it all for cripes sake.

All the party-goers have been carefully vetted to make sure they are Broncos fans.  Seahawks fans are banned.

If a Seahawks fan should breach Casa de Curmudgeon’s DEFCON 5 security system, the ferocious junkyard dog Sophie will crawl in their lap and lick them to death.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Super Bowl Sunday.  Be safe on the road, don’t drink and drive and be sure to root for the Broncos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.