Friday, May 16, 2014

The Bluebird Of Happiness

Yesterday there was a gentle rain falling.  It was my day off and a perfect day to sleep in.

I had opened the door that leads to my backyard and had full view of the little birdhouse that two years ago had housed a pair of Carolina Wrens.

I busied myself doing laundry and preparing breakfast when I noticed a cute little bluebird perched atop the finial that adorns the top of the birdhouse.  I had seen the male hanging around several times before yesterday but thought nothing more of it.

This day, however, was different.  Sophie, my little furkid, decided she was upset by whatever she had spied outside the door.  I would walk over and look for the source of her concern.  Seeing nothing I returned to my chores.

Later that morning I made time to hop on the computer.  It was then that I saw something wonderful out of the corner of my eye.  I got out of my chair and walked over to the open door and saw a bluebird with its head popped out of the entry of the birdhouse.

Moments later another bluebird flew onto the finial and remained perched there long enough for me to snap a photograph.  My movements caused the little darlings to take flight.

All day long, Sophie would bark at the door and I knew the little birds were back again.  This kind of activity meant only one thing—there were little, bitty baby bluebirds inside the nest box.

For thousands of years, the bluebird has been regarded as the harbinger of happiness.  I will not try to dispel that myth.  No sir, not me and here’s why:

This past January, I had a sleep study done.  It was determined that I have obstructive sleep apnea.  I was directed to start using a CPAP machine.  It took two months before I could be seen by the sleep doctor after the study had been done, but once I saw her I starting using the danged thing. 

My first follow-up appointment was May 1st.  The data card that recorded my sleep with the CPAP machine indicated that I was now getting 4.9 to 5.3 hours of sleep each night rather than the 3 hours nightly I had been getting before using the device.

The following Thursday I had a follow-up appointment with my cardiologist.  Though there is no cure for the diastolic heart failure I have, the cardiologist said that my heart rate and pulse had greatly improved and she saw no need to see me anymore unless I felt I needed to see her.  She noted that the CPAP was greatly responsible for the improvement.

In addition, I applied for Social Security during the month of April and received notice of what my monthly check would be.  I also visited my HR Department to turn in my retirement paperwork a week ago.

Two weeks ago, I got a mailing from the Social Security Administration advising me that since I had filed a claim for Social Security Benefits that I needed to contact the U.S. Department of Labor’s Employee Benefits Security Administration.  I did this and now have paperwork due to arrive shortly to finalize my monthly pension disbursements from my previous employer.

As of today, I have 66 more calendar days or 46 more actual work days until I can retire.

According to Proverbs 10:22, “The blessing of the Lord makes a person rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.”

I’m getting’ ready to do me some livin’.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.