Friday, November 13, 2015

Fractured Fairy Tales: Hillary’s Stint In The Marines

This week The Ice Cube In Heels revivified a fractured fairy tale while campaigning in Manchester, NH.  And friends, this one is a doozy.  The story she shared was of how, as a young woman in 1975, she was interested in becoming a Marine. 

“He looks at me and he goes, ‘Um, how old are you?'” Clinton recollected. “I said, ‘Well, I’m 26, I’ll be 27.’ He goes, ‘Well, that’s kind of old for us.’ He says to me, ‘Maybe the dogs will take you,’ meaning the Army.  It was not a very encouraging conversation,” she reportedly said. “I decided maybe I’ll look for another way to serve my country.”

The story of Clinton’s military aspirations have come up before, as have questions about her honesty on the subject. In 1994, The New York Times’s Maureen Dowd noted that joining the military seemed to clash with the future first lady’s persona:
After all, Hillary Rodham was an up-and-coming legal star involved with an up-and-coming political star. She had made a celebrated appearance in Life magazine as an anti-establishment commencement speaker at Wellesley College, where, as president of the student government, she had organized teach-ins on her opposition to the Vietnam War.
She also worked on the far-Left anti-war campaigns of Eugene McCarthy and George McGovern.

The irony of this preposterous parable is not lost on me.  It’s quite a co-inky-dinky that Monday was the 240th birthday of the United States Marine Corps.  Several of the presidential candidates took to social media to wish the Corps a “Happy Birthday”.  Not the beast.  Instead she wished “Happy Diwali” to Hindus.

I love this line from Dianne Sylvan’s book Queen of Shadows“She was famous, and she was insane. Her voice soared out over the audience, holding them spellbound and enraptured, delivering their hopes and fears tangled in chords and rhythm. They called her an angel, her voice a gift.  She was famous and she was a liar.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.