Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Amy Shumer Prefers to be Praised in the Company of Only Skinny Gun Control Advocates


Gruntington Post - When comedienne, feminist and gun control advocate Amy Shumer was praised for being "inspiring" in Glamour Magazine's Plus-Size issue, alongside actress Melissa McCarthy and singer Adele, she was less than pleased.  She posted the following remark on Instagram to express her disappointment:
I think there's nothing wrong with being plus size. Beautiful healthy women. Plus size is considered size 16 in America. I go between a size 6 and an 8. @glamourmag put me in their plus size only issue without asking or letting me know and it doesn't feel right to me. Young girls seeing my body type thinking that is plus size? What are your thoughts? Mine are not cool glamour not glamourous.
My thought is, will young girls be confused when trying to reconcile her current outrage with her previous activism?  What's wrong with being praised for her "words," after all?  She's always protested against the need for women to be perceived as "attractive" in public professions, like entertainment or politics.  But now, it seems terribly important to her to be perceived as thin.  More important than, say, the freedom of speech or of the press.  Interesting.  Maybe she's not the best person to tell us we don't need the freedom of self defense, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please scribble on my walls otherwise how will I know what you think, but please don’t try spamming me or you’ll earn a quick trip to the spam filter where you will remain—cold, frightened and all alone.